Thursday, August 02, 2012

The next step

Last weekend I tried a new jogging trail, this time in Bochum with Elliot. When we started to run, he began his support by asking whether I wanted to go for a walk or for a run. Well, well, in the end we saw that ... he was right.

Awful result, I was red like a tomato and it occurred to me that maybe, maybe I have been a little bit too optimistic. 15km!!! In less than 90 minutes??? Holy moly, I'm getting scared.

However, I decided to wipe away these thoughts and to concentrate on something different, but equally important: Food. After hours of reading about running, nutrition etc here is what I found:

Carbs: 60% of daily calories intake
Proteins: 20% of daily calories intake
Fat: less than 20% of daily calories intake
Vitamins: C, E and A
Calcium: 1000 mg per day
Iron: 18 mg per day
Sodium: just enough to avoid cravings for salty food

So far so good. But I don't know my daily calories intake and I certainly won't start counting every calorie that wanders into my mouth. And how the hell should we measure 1000 mg of calcium per day? And 18 mg of iron? I start to understand why proper athletes take supplements: it's just so much easier to follow the recommended nutrition guidelines.

So, I also wiped away those rules and read and googled even more to find the type of food that naturally fits to a jogging diet and now proudly present our menu for the coming weeks:

Breakfast
Low-fat yoghurt (proteins, carbs, calcium) with banana (carbs, potassium - important to prevent cramps)
or
Whole grain bread (fibres) with peanut butter, yes, peanut butter (protein, fibres)

Lunch/Dinner
Salmon (protein, omega3fats, vitamins A, B and D) with spinach
or
Poultry with carrots (vitamin A) and nuts, sweet potatoes (potassium, iron, vitamin A and C), eggs (vitamin K, protein, of course) etc...

Any suggestions welcome! And if that all gets to complicated, we will just do it like Rocky.

3 comments:

SkeptikerG said...

nutrition stats? bin so stolz auf dich...

;)

Laura said...

But where's the chocolate?!

Manu said...

:) Mr. G, I knew you would like that. Und ich brauch noch mehr Tipps, damit mir das ganze nicht nach ein paar Tagen aus dem Halse hängt!

Well, Laura, no chocolate. But some meat for a change ^^ yummie